
I wish I knew my mum-in-law back in her younger years. She told me once that she was quite the rebel back in the day. I would have loved to have known that side of her! :) I knew her as being a kind-hearted, humble woman who never complained about anything. I admired her for her strength and honesty.
She wasn't my biological mother but she really completed my life in areas no one could. My own parents are immigrants from Japan. They raised me Japanese living in Canada. My in-laws are Canadians who look Japanese (sure there's some 'Japaneseness' in them) but they're quintessentially Canadian. They spoke English, born and raised in Canada. I've been enriched by two sets of parents learning about their distinct perspectives on life.
As I sit here in our home in the Philippines, I am thinking about the burial and Memorial of my mum-in-law back in Vancouver. I wish I was there so I could say my own good-byes to her and bring closure in my own mind of her departure. It'll feel weird not to see her when we go back to Canada next year. Kayla and I will have to mourn in our own way here.
Thinking about John's dad breaks my heart as he has lost his best friend. I know nothing can be said or done to fill that void that he's feeling (or going to feel) but people have said that time does heal and God does bring joy and hope back into life again. But nevertheless, it can't be easy.
I will remember and celebrate her life. I'm going to miss her, can't wait to see her again.
No comments:
Post a Comment