I ask myself this question almost everyday now that we're back. What ARE we doing?? To be honest, we're not doing a lot but a lot is going on. It feels like God is holding us down so he can do some work in us.
Many have asked about John's program at Carey Theological Seminary. He's taking a Spiritual Formation program there which has been SO good for him. This program has been a real gift as it really meets John where he's at right now. It's difficult to explain exactly what this program is so you'll have to read the Carey link or for a more neutral definition you can go to Wikipedia. With deep, personal theological questions along with questions about where we're headed next, it's been a stable, safe place for John to wrestle in.
I've been doing some of my own spiritual forming as well as I try to get my head around this book I just finished reading, The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne. It's a crazy book and my head's still spinning. If you've grown up in the church, you've lived in North America all or most of your life, and maybe you're asking yourself what it really means to be a Christian (or maybe you're not asking), you need to read this book. You may not agree with everything he says or you may think he's totally out there but he really makes you think more deeply about your attitudes towards the poor and the marginalized, war, Church, and the "comforts of Christianity". I'd be very interested in hearing about what you think about this book if you get a chance to read it.
If you will excuse me, I have some soul searching to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment