It's hard to believe we've only been in Canada for four months. Much of it was time settling into our apartment and traveling.
May was move-in and adjustment month. June was spent with family and friends in Alberta. It was a good time where the cousins got to know one another and everyone was introduced to Keona. 12 days in July were spent in Ontario and Michigan, meeting up with SEND people, and friends. So far August has been a month of birthday parties (Kayla's 6th), buying school supplies, getting together with friends closer to home and finding some family down time before the craziness of life begins in September. It's been a good last four months. Tiring but good. We are so thankful for the support we have in our lives through so many people.
During the many road trips we took this summer, as fatigue set in, I thought about how much easier life would be if I just got a regular paying job. I wouldn't have to travel and visit people and "ask for money". I know many people including my parents wonder this. It's not that we don't want to have regular paying jobs, John and I have both seriously considered going into the workforce many, many times.
Is the point of getting a job just to show we are self-sufficient? In our society, being independent, and self-sufficient is highly valued. It's probably the most important thing in people minds when they go to work everyday.
Is self sufficiency more important than calling? I hope people work at their jobs because for the most part, they have a desire, or a calling to be there. Maybe in a perfect world, everyone would love their jobs and say "I am doing what I'm supposed to be doing and love it." I know, at times you work at a job (that you may not necessarily enjoy) to provide for your basic needs, it's necessary, I understand that. But let's say you find your calling or "perfect job" and it involves a lifestyle that is very different from a 'regular', 'self-sufficient' lifestyle. Do you not do it because it's just too radical? Well, some say "No,it's too risky. I have a family. . . " or "I can't ask people for money." or "It's too hard." etc. etc. Perfect world or not, if you know in your heart what your calling is and you're not doing it for whatever reason, I think you're missing out. If you are working at a job that you enjoy, you feel fulfilled at, I think you should work really hard at it and find ways to help others. John and I would love to be able to find 'regular jobs' that involve doing what we're doing now - being part of people's everyday lives, helping them, empowering them, sharing our lives together, incorporating the arts in different ways... but we're doing all that now, with the help of you. You're doing it all with us.
I know many people we know have hang-ups about support raising, giving people money, etc. To be honest, I have some things to work out about it all as well. Why does it all have to be about money? Why can't it be about helping each other help others? I know, reality is, money keeps the world turning not people.
I struggle with these issues constantly, you have no idea. I feel being in ministry is where I'm supposed to be right now. Maybe one day people will see us as equals (not more spiritual than they are because we're in "full-time ministry" or less important because we're dependent on others), and maybe I'll find a regular, paying job that encompasses everything I want to do (or pretty close). But right now, this is the life I've been called to live; it's hard sometimes but, we love being part of people's lives in ways others can't, and yes, we rely on generous others to live. Does that make us second-class, poor people? No, we're doing our jobs, just like you're doing yours.
No comments:
Post a Comment