Recently we rented a documentary called 'Food Inc.'. I have to say after watching it, I don't see my food quite the same. I strongly recommend anyone to watch it.
The movie made me more aware that we aren't eating what we think we're eating. We thought beef is beef and chicken is chicken and everything comes from their natural source right? Wrong.
Did you know that, to save money major meat companies feed cattle corn instead of grass (which is what the're supposed to eat) which in turn causes havoc to their digestive systems? This causes unusual conditions like ulcers and infections which need antibiotics which the cows wouldn't normally need if they were fed grass.
Corn growers in the United States (and probably in Canada too) are having to produce so much corn for these meat companies and pretty much every food maker there is (notice there's corn syrup in a lot of the food we have in our cupboards?) that these corn farmers are having to genetically modify the corn so they have a built in pesticide so insects can't get to them and they can keep on growing as much of it as possible. This modified corn is eaten by the cow and we eat the cows.
Chickens are fed special feed so they can grow bigger and faster. They grow so big so fast their bodies can't handle it and their legs can't handle the weight so they end up not being able to walk or stand.
This is just the tip of the iceberg my friends, and I will spare you the gruesome details so you can watch it for yourselves.
All of this really made me and John realize how greed has severely altered how our food is made, processed and distributed. I think God gave us creatures and plants of the earth to take care of so they can take care of us. I don't think God intended this system to become this money making scheme. If it weren't for greed, I think everyone on this earth would have enough to eat. If it weren't for greed, kids wouldn't be dying from e-coli and salmonella. If it weren't for greed we wouldn't have to worry about mad cow disease.
With the knowledge I've gained from watching this movie, I'm wondering what to do with this information now. I am concerned about what we put into our bodies, and how this may affect our health in the long run. I am also concerned about how we are treating God's earth and all that is in it. By buying products from companies who don't care about how they treat animals, I am essentially saying that I don't care what I put into my body and don't care what they do to these animals.
I am not a big animal activist but I do believe we should respect each creature to let them be the way they were created. But moreover, I believe we should live the way God intended and therefore eat foods that haven't been altered; live and eat in the most natural way possible.
To be honest I don't really know what that means. Does it mean we buy all organic products? Or become vegetarians? I don't know. I know one thing for certain, as a start, I am definitely going to read food labels much more closely from now on and maybe think about planting ourselves a little garden.
No comments:
Post a Comment