A few weeks ago I was in town doing some errands. As I was coming out of the bank, a man came up to me asking whether I could spare some change. From working in the inner city, I have learned not to give money but to give food or something a street person needs. I knew by giving this man change I would be fueling his alcoholic addiction (I could smell alcohol on his breath) so I asked him whether I could buy him a sandwich or a cup of coffee. He said he needed medicine and so I asked him what kind of medicine it was. He told me it was for his seizures. For all I knew he could have been lying to me so I could get him pills that he was addicted to but I took a risk. The man told me he had an account at the Safeway pharmacy across the street so I said I would get him his medicine.
As we walked to the Safeway together, I asked him what his name was. He told me his name was Jeff and he began to tell me how he once wore suits everyday to work and lived near beaches. He worked for a large distribution company which took him to various places around the world. Now, Jeff can't find work and he's not eligible for welfare because he owns property (a house and a condo). At this point I wanted to ask him why in the world he was begging on the street but I refrained and decided not to judge him. Jeff told me about his messy divorce with his ex-wife and how he doesn't have anyone in his life he can go to for help.
By this time we were waiting at the Pharmacy counter for the pharmacist to process the medication. While we waited, Jeff sat in a chair and I stood nearby. As I stood there I was led to really examine my motives as to why I was helping this man. Was it to make myself feel good? so I could pat myself on the back and say "Good job Edith"? I'd been there and done that and this time, it wasn't for that reason. Was it to help a fellow human being in need? Yes, partially. What it came down to simply, was that I wanted to show this man dignity and respect he deserved as a human being, even if it was for that 45 minutes we spent together.
How easy it is for me to show respect to someone who I find out is a lawyer, doctor or someone of high stature in society. How difficult it is for me to show that same respect to that man who smells of alcohol asking for change on the street.
After 20 minutes, Jeff was able to get his medicine and we walked out of the store together. Right before we parted ways he asks me "Uum, is there any way you can still spare a dollar?" I told him I didn't have any change on me. I wished him well and we went in opposite directions.
I got into my van and as I was waiting for traffic to pass to leave the parkade, I saw Jeff with his Safeway bag hanging off of his arm, in front of the bank asking people walking by for change.
I can't help him with his alcoholic addiction nor can I help him with other issues in his life but the least I could do is show him that he deserved to be treated as a human being. Passing him in my van, I lifted a prayer asking God to bring healing and wholeness to Jeff's life again.
No comments:
Post a Comment