Sunday, December 19, 2010

Whaa-aaaaaat?!

We got the news this morning.  The members of Oakridge church had a congregational meeting to vote in John as the Youth and Young Adults Pastor.  A 75% majority was needed in order for the vote to pass.  Well, it didn't pass.

When John told me after he got off the phone with the chairman of the Board, my reaction was, "Whaaaaaat?! You gotta be joking."  After three months of interviews, meetings, candidating, meetings, it's a NO?  John and I could speculate why some of the members voted nay but we'd be driving ourselves nutty.  Being the optimist, I thought for sure the job was in the bag after all, how could they say no after three months of waiting?

I was devastated.  John's disappointed.  We're left wondering "Now what?"

In terms of ministry, we start from zero.  Emotionally, I feel like someone just kicked my gutt.

The good Christian side of me says there must be a good reason for all of this and God has a plan . . . yeah I know but it doesn't make me feel better right at this moment.

Practically, it's bad news because our funding is running out.  We've been on reserve and the financial support we're receiving from donors alone isn't enough.  Because this pastoring position was a paid position, together with what we receive from donors, it would have really helped us out.

What a way to go into the Christmas holidays.

No comments: