Recently, we've had the privilege of befriending a soccer player who was just acquired by the professional team here in Vancouver. It's been interesting getting to know him as it's given us glimpses of what life is like as a professional athlete. It's a full-time job to be on top of your game. Not only do you need to be completely committed and disciplined in your sport, you need a team of professionals to guide and help you strive to become better.
Since John's back injury, it has become more of a challenge for him to maintain a certain level of physical health. We however have been very fortunate that WCB has provided quality care for him. This has made a huge difference because we've been able to receive proper medical guidance. Whereas before, we've just had to figure things out on our own which has led us back to square one. In the same breath, I've been realizing that my spiritual health needs to be tended to because it's not where it should be.
I have to say, maintaining some level of spiritual health is posing to be very difficult. Unlike our physical bodies, spiritual growth isn't as obvious; you can't see body parts getting bigger or measure it on a chart. It's subtle, it's internal and it involves a lot of work. Like being a professional athlete, I not only require personal commitment but I'm coming to realize how vital having a 'team of professionals' is.
You can't possibly reach a professional level in anything on your own. You have to have people around you who can coach, train, treat and mentor you. Spiritually, as smart as you may think you are, you can't thrive on your own without hitting the ceiling and becoming stagnant. The danger in thinking that you don't need others to help you in your spiritual journey is your brain gets really big with know-how while the rest of your body begins to shrivel up from atrophy. I think this is where I'm at.
I know I need to be in the Word and pray and be in fellowship with other believers on the regular basis but if I'm truly serious about wanting to move up to the next level in my spiritual maturity, I need a team of spiritual coaches, mentors and trainers to help me.
I don't have millions of dollars to spend on professional personnel like the Whitecaps but I know I can be just as intentional about finding the right people to join 'my team'; people I respect, people I trust, people who have gone through more life than I have and possess a certain spiritual discernment. I would love to find people like this to help bring God's perspective into my life.
I guess I know what I'll be praying for in the next little while.
No comments:
Post a Comment