I've been working at UGM for about five months now and if anyone were to ask me what one big thing I've learned working with the marginalized was, I would say "Learning to be human".
Here I am supposedly the one helping these people but really, they're the ones helping me. By virtue of them being simply themselves, they are showing what's really inside of me that I am able to hide. We share brokenness and hurt. For them however, they've been hurt so much more deeply, so much more often that they no longer have the defense mechanisms to hide and deal with the pain.
The personal stories of these people who I'm growing close to, are heart breaking - stories of enduring horrendous physical, psychological, sexual abuse from family members and "trusted" people, tragic deaths, growing up feeling rejected and unwanted. . . the list goes on and on.
Everyday I ask myself (and God) how I can possibly help these hurting people. I pray for the Lord's heart, His mind, and most of all His Love to fill me. I know that no matter how deep the pain and hurt is, this Love can reach it. This Love is for me, you and that hurting man or woman sleeping on the street.
No comments:
Post a Comment