Monday, November 26, 2012

It Was The Strangest Thing

Back in October when I was approached by the leadership of UGM New Westminster to pray about coming on as staff, little did I know how involved this would be. Meeting after meeting, it became very apparent to all those involved, due to various bureaucratic factors, it wasn't going to be as simple as just them offering and me accepting.  We initially thought this position for me would be clear but at this time, I wasn’t any closer to knowing whether this was going to happen.  I knew I just had to keep waiting. 

The same week I had my last meeting with UGM, Keona suddenly started complaining about headaches.  It got worse and we eventually took her to the ER.  When I called Rich (the senior pastor at Five Stones Church) to tell him I couldn’t teach the kids on Sunday because we were taking Keona to the hospital, he told me that he had a dream about her that night.  He had a dream that Keona had an arrow stuck through her head and was complaining about having a headache.  It was the strangest thing.

It was a dark week as I sensed a real heaviness as if the Enemy was pressing to knock me down.  Going back and forth to and from the hospital in the course of three days, watching Keona get poked and prodded with needles and seeing her not well was stressful to say the least.  We all were concerned she had some sort of bacterial infection and so the doctors wanted to keep a close eye on her as they administered antibiotics.  I know many people were praying for us during this time.

After that week came to an end, something happened.  I can’t quite explain it but it almost felt like an invisible heavy blanket that was wrapped around me was suddenly taken off.  I didn’t even know I had this heavy blanket on me until it was lifted off and I felt so much lighter.  Keona was noticeably better now, and what ever she had, left as quickly as it came.  After all the tests were done, the results came back inconclusive so we’ll never know what she had.  

Last year, although I’ve known I’ve had it for a long time, I was diagnosed with SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder).  Every winter (for the exception of the two years we were living in the Philippines) I would go through major physical and emotional change. I struggled getting out of bed every morning, my energy level was low and my brain was “fuzzy” throughout the day making it really hard to focus which resulted in at times, unhealthy amounts of coffee consumption.  I felt like a bear wanting to hibernate in a cave all winter long.  Emotionally, I wouldn’t say I was “depressed” but I definitely wasn’t my usual self.  So to offset these symptoms of SAD, I had to use an UV light to help increase my levels of Vitamin D.  After that particular week in October, Keona recovered from her mysterious illness and all of sudden I felt myself again.  The need to use the UV lamp, get all that extra sleep and caffeine were no longer there.  It was the strangest thing. 

It’s been about a month now since all of this happened.  It’s been a time of testing and waiting.  The Lord has gifted me with a full-time position at UGM New Westminster as an Outreach Worker.  Keona hasn’t experienced any headaches since then, and I’m a happier winter camper.

Strange things are happening.

No comments: